Monday, February 13, 2006
Grocery Store Trip
Well, I ran out of time to go to the grocery store on Sunday, so I went today. It's just amazing the things that happen. I did the usual shopping, got in line... thinking to myself as usual how the grocery stores have made it so inconvenient for the shoppers to check out. I remember when we got to the cashier and the cashier, not me, would take all the groceries out of the basket. This, of course, would give me time to go through all my coupons. But now, we get to put all the groceries in the basket, and take them out for the cashier. Wasn't that a great idea they came up with? Just a pet peeve of mine... it really irks me! Anyway, I got to the line, put all my groceries on the little round thingy and proceeded to go through my coupon envelope. The cashier scanned everything... we actually had a bagger... the bagger put everything in bags and loaded it into the shopping cart. Then it happened. I've never even heard of this before. The computer froze up. My cashier of the day happened to be a manager. So, he did the best he could with trying to get it to work again, but nothing. He had to come around to my side of the check-out line to reboot the computer. I asked if he would have to scan all the groceries again.. "No, this should do it, but it takes a little time." Okay... now I have finally finished going through all of my coupons and have pulled out the ones I can use. Now what? "Does your family like Blue Bell?", he asked. "My son, does." "What flavor?" "Strawberry." "I'll be right back." He went and got a container of strawberry Blue Bell and put it in a bag. I already bought one... where am I going to put 2 containers of ice cream? "Sorry for the inconvenience." he said. That was nice... hey, let me catch up on the latest gossip on my soaps while I'm standing here not doing anything. Well... I can't believe it. Courtney is going to deliver little baby John and she's going to die. But not before Jax tells her he switched the paternity test and the baby really belongs to Nikolas. Unfortunately, she dies before she can tell Nikolas and Jax takes the baby. What? Oh, okay... we're moving to another register. He couldn't get the other register/computer to work. He has to unload all of the groceries from the bags onto the round thingy so they can come around to the register. Now he can scan them all again. Didn't scan that Valentine's Day card. Didn't scan those pizzas (Charlie is going through a Totino's pizza phase). He saw the container of strawberry Blue Bell I had previously purchased. "You can have them both, for the inconvenience." "Thanks!" So, I finally got all my groceries scanned, all my coupons scanned, and I got to use the $16.00 coupon from the paper. After leaving all that stuff off, my groceries didn't add up to over $160.00 anymore, but he let me have it anyway. "For your inconvenience." You know, I've been shopping at this grocery store for awhile, and I've never liked it. This one trip made up for it. Yes, I was inconvenienced, I spent 2 hours in a store I don't like, I brought home melting ice cream and thawing pizzas, but I was rewarded for being inconvenienced. I really don't think it was the store, though. I think it was the personal integrity of the manager. Why else would I get rewarded for being inconvenienced? That's a thing of the past... like cashiers unloading your groceries for you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment