Thursday, January 11, 2007

Enough is Enough

I dropped Michael off at school this morning by the temporaries. It is hard for him to carry his backpack with the use of only one shoulder, so I drove him to school yesterday and today. He didn't want to get out of the car. I told him it would be okay. I had sent an email to Mrs. Wilson and I would be getting the situation resolved and he shouldn't worry. He still wouldn't get out of the car. He was afraid she would pounce on him the moment he walked into the classroom. So, I told Michael I would stay parked between the temporaries for a full minute after he walked through the door, and if there was a problem he should come and get me. That worked. He went into the classroom. I waited the minute, and drove home.

No sooner had I opened the gate and garage when my cell phone started ringing. I pulled in the garage and parked. The caller ID on the display was "Larson Office". Hmmm... I answered and it was Michael. He was calling from the classroom. He said his head was burning up, he felt sick to his stomach, his head hurt really bad and he wanted to come home. I told him to ask Mrs. Wilson if I should come pick him up from the classroom, or should I meet him in the nurse's office. He put the phone down and went over and asked Mrs. Wilson what to do. He came back on the line and told me I should meet him in the nurses office.

I backed out of the garage and headed back to the school. I parked in the front and entered the office only to find a direct shot to Mr. Longgrear's (principal) office. He was checking his email and had his back to me. I approached and said, "Excuse me, Mr. Longgrear, may I speak with you for a moment?" He turned around and stood and said, "Of course." So I went off about how Mrs. Wilson had spoken to Michael the previous day after we thought the situation was already settled. How she had made Michael feel and how she had shown favoritism toward Liam, not only that, but when my daughter had her class 5 years ago she showed favoritism toward particular students. I asked him to move Michael to Mrs. Shehorn's homeroom class because he didn't have Mrs. Wilson for any blocks, just homeroom, and he wouldn't have to see her if he didn't have her for homeroom. He said it would be taken care of immediately and for me not to worry. I thanked him and headed for the nurses office.

I asked Robin (the nurse) to take Michael's temperature just to be on the safe side. She did and he didn't have a fever. I then asked her to find out if Michael and I could talk to the school counselor, Sue Thomas before I signed him out and took him home. She went to find Mrs. Thomas.

Once inside Mrs. Thomas' office, I explained what had happened with him to her. She talked to Michael about it a little, but it just brought tears to his eyes. I told Michael that Mrs. Thomas was there at the school for him. That if he had any issues he could ask to go see her so they could take care of it during the school day, instead of waiting until after school and telling me. He should still tell me about any issues, but Mrs. Thomas was there to handle things during the school ay. I would have to wait until the next day to resolve anything. Mrs. Thomas assured Michael that she was there for him and that he could come talk to her about anything, anytime.

With that taken care of, I signed Michael out and took him home. I called Charlie and told him what had happened. He said Michael could come spend the day with him in his office and play on his laptop so I could go to work. First I gave Michael a Tylenol, then he laid down for a while so he could calm down and to let the headache go away. Once he was feeling better, I took him to Charlie's office and went to work.... whew! What a morning!!!

P.S. I didn't cry when I talked to Mr. Longgrear about Michael's situation... that's a first!!

No comments: